Reporting to Director of Onion & Garlic Ag Operations, the Senior Agronomist will be responsible to develop crop management recommendations for the crops in Olam’s Spices portfolio. This position will be responsible to monitor crop progress with production acres as well as developing and monitor field agronomic trials with a focus on soil health, irrigation water quality, and plant nutrient requirements. The Senior Agronomist will work closely with the Crop Managers to develop and monitor trials in the different growing regions. In addition, the Senior Agronomist will monitor and analyze data from in-field soil health sensors which are placed in multiple locations within our production fields. The Senior Agronomist will monitor crop input information in AgInsight for the purpose of correlating crop culture activities, soil health, water quality, fertilizer, and other crop inputs with final crop yields and solids.
- Manage the planting of agronomic field trials, monitor those trials throughout the growing season, and analyze and report on the results of those trials.
- Correlate soil health, fertilizer applications, and water quality with crop yields and solids results in all trials and production fields.
- Analyze data from AgInsight to find opportunities for crop input management improvements
- Identify and analyze the underlying principles of all available crop data.
- Lead the safety program for the area to meet the established safety objectives. Partner with Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) when appropriate.
- Share trial data and production field information and AgInsight crop information with the Crop Management team.
- Provide weekly communication with the Director of Onion and Garlic Ag Operations to review objectives and the results of the production crop and field trials.
- Prepare and submit monthly crop and trial progress reports to the Director of Onion and Garlic Ag Operations.
- Ensure communication with Sustainability Manager to update crop data and grower information to support Sustainability Initiatives.
- Ensure communication with growers and Pest Control Advisors (PCA) during the growing season to discuss crop progress, cultural practices, and progress of agronomy trials.
- Represent the company with industry associations, including but not limited to Garlic and Onion Dehydrator Advisory Board (GODAB) and Garlic and Onion Research Advisory Board (GORAB).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s Degree with a major in agronomy, crop science, plant physiology, or related field is required.
- Five (5) years of experience in crop culture, plant physiology, or soil health is required.
- Valid State issued Drivers’ License and good driving record is required.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written, are required.
- Excellent planning and general management skills are required.
- Good computer skills are required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are required.
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision is required.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish, is preferred.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Olam provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at US-Talent.Acquisition@olamnet.comopens an email client application
At Olam, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.