Reporting to the Director of Ag Operations, the Crop Manager will be responsible to represent the company in the primary onion producing areas of central California. The Crop Manager will lead the planning and management of all activities that support the contracting, planting, growing, harvesting, and delivery of the crops in their area to support the processing facilities and the company production plan. The Crop Manager monitors all competitor activities and competitive crop costs in the area. The candidate’s primary job duties will be in central California with some responsibilities for Southern California, Arizona, and Northern California.
- Contract with growers for the crops in the area to support the production plan, including onion and garlic for dehydration as well as other crops as required.
- Develop competitive crop cost models.
- Select growers and work with growers to select and properly prepare fields for planting.
- Manage the planting activity of the crops in the area.
- Identify potential growers in new growing regions with adequate water supply, suitable soils, and appropriate chilling hours to optimize the performance of our crops.
- Prepare planting summaries, area maps, and field maps for the crops in the area.
- Monitor and document all crop culture activities including weed control, fertilization, irrigation, pest control, and disease management.
- Make plant population counts and provide weekly updates on crop progress and yield estimates.
- Assist in the harvest management activities in their designated area and in other areas as required.
- Communicate on a regular basis with growers in the area and promote a positive company image within the local agricultural community.
- Monitor and report on competitor activities, including acres and crop yields, in the area.
- Lead the safety program for the area to meet the established safety objectives. Partner with Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) when appropriate.
- Communicate with the Harvest Operations Manager during the harvest for the purpose of discussing field preparation, overall crop status, and crop quality.
- Communicate with the Director of Ag Operations during the harvest season to update crop yields, quality forecasting, and planting status
- Ensure communication with the Senior Agronomist to review crop trials and production crop progress and issues.
- Prepare and submit weekly crop progress reports to the Director of Ag Operations.
- Partner with Sustainability Manager to update crop data and grower information to support Sustainability Initiatives.
- Ensure frequent communication with growers and Pest Control Advisors (PCA) during the growing season to discuss crop progress and cultural practices.
- Represent the company with industry associations (including but not limited to Garlic and Onion Dehydrator Advisory Board (GODAB) and Garlic and Onion Research Advisory Board (GORAB).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required with a major in agronomy, crop science, agri-business, farm management, or related field is preferred. Candidates with five (5) year’s Crop Management experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Valid State issued Drivers’ License and good driving record is required.
- Five (5) years of experience in crop culture and crop harvesting is required. Experience should include working with farm equipment and direct supervision of employees. Candidates substituting experience in lieu of degree require ten (10) total years of crop experience.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written, are required.
- Excellent planning and general management skills are required.
- Good computer skills are required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are required.
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision is required.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish, is preferred.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Olam provides equality of opportunity for all persons with respect to hiring without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us for support at US-Talent.Acquisition@olamnet.comopens an email client application
At Olam, we celebrate our diversity. Olam Americas Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.